How to Call UK From US?
- Last Updated: 20 Feb 24
- 13 min read
Are you a US citizen looking to make a personal or business call to the UK but facing numerous problems?
Because the US and the UK are among the top countries to call internationally. The struggle becomes more real, and it’s time to put an end to it.
With the right resources and steps, making an international call is a piece of cake. Follow this guide to learn how to call the UK from the US quickly and easily.
🔑 Key Highlights
- To call the UK from the United dial the exit code of the USA, the country code of the UK, the area code, and local phone numbers.
- Before making calls to the UK from the United you should consider things like types of UK phone numbers, time zone differences, the exit code, the country code, area codes, and local numbers.
- KrispCall can be one of the best alternatives to make a call to the UK from the United States at affordable calling rates with various advanced features.
How to call UK from US?
To call the UK from the US first dial the exit code of the USA, i.e. 001 followed by the country code of the United Kingdom. Then, enter the country code of the UK, i.e. 44, and input the area code which is two to five digits. Finally, input the receipt’s phone number(4-8 digits, area code plus phone number equals 10 digits.)
To call the UK from the USA, Dial:
- 011-44-Area code-landline number(For UK landline number)
- 011-44-Area code-mobile number(For UK mobile number)
- 011-44-Toll-free prefix-subscriber number(For UK toll-free number)
- 011 is the USA’s international access code
- 44 is the country code of the UK
- The area code of the UK is usually two to five digits
- The phone number has (4-8) digits
1. How to call a UK mobile number from the US?
To call a UK mobile phone number from the United States first dial the exit code of the USA, i.e. 011. Then enter the UK country code, i.e. 44, and then input the mobile phone code, i.e. 7. Next, input the area code which is usually two to five digits, and then, dial the phone number(4 to 8 digits) at last.
To call the UK mobile number from the US, Dial:
- Enter the + sign in dialpad.
- Dial the UK country code, i.e., 44.
- Dial 7 for the UK cell phone number.
- Finally, dial the phone number.
For instance, if you are from the US and want to call someone with a cell phone number 123 456 789 living in Oxford, UK, the final number before dialing, should look like this: +44 7 123 456 789
Note: UK mobile phone numbers are composed of 11 digits, including the mobile code 07 and excluding the country code. However, the leading ‘0’ in the mobile code is generally ignored while dialing.
2. How to dial the UK from the US using a landline?
To call the UK from the United States using a landline first dial the international access code of the US which is 011. Next, dial the UK country code which is 44, and then the area code for the specific region you are calling in the UK. At last dial the local phone number you wish to reach in the UK.
Here is a simple step-wise guide to dial the UK from the US using a landline.
- Dial the exit code 011.
- Enter the UK country code 44.
- Add the UK area codes of the city that you are trying to call. (Check the cities and their respective area codes that are listed above to remove any further confusion.)
- Finally, dial the landline numbers.
For instance, if you are from the US and want to call someone with a landline number 1234 5678 living in Oxford, UK, the final number before dialing should look like this: 011-44-1865-1234-5678
Note: Ignore the zero at the start of the area code, for example, the area code for Oxford is 01865, but when dialing, enter 1865, eliminating the zero.
3. How to dial the UK toll-free numbers from the United States?
To call the UK from the United States first dial the US exit code which is 011 and input the UK country code which is 44. Next, skip the leading”0″ in the UK toll-free number as it is not necessary for making international calls. Dial the UK free call number which starts with free call prefixes like 800, 808, 500 at last.
Here’s a detailed step-by-step process to call the United Kingdom toll-free number from the United States:
- Dial the US exit code, i.e. 011.
- Next, dial the UK country code which is 44.
- Skip the leading “0” in the UK free call number as it is not necessary for making international calls.
- Finally, dial the UK toll-free number which starts with toll-free prefixes like 800, 808, 500.
For example, if the UK free call number is 0800 854 4086, you would dial: 011 44 800 854 4086
What are the things to consider before Calling the UK from the US?
Taking out your phone and rushing to dial the green button isn’t the only thing you need to think about. Prior to that, you have to consider a lot of things.
Here are some of the things to take into consideration before calling the UK from the US.
- Types of UK phone numbers: Before making a call to the UK always ensure which types of UK phone numbers you are calling like local numbers, mobile numbers, and toll-free numbers.
- Exit Code: Ensure you know the US exit code, i.e. 011 before calling UK numbers. This tells your telecom network that you are making an international call and that it should use the dialing code to route to the country specified.
Note: Nowadays, cell phones and other modern services don’t require you to enter the exact exit code for a country; the universal plus sign “+” is used instead.
- UK Area Codes: After entering the UK country code make sure you dial the UK different area codes which may vary according to the specific regions or cities.
Area codes for some of the popular cities in the UK:
|Popular Area Codes
- Time Zone differences: It’s crucial to consider the time zone differences when making a call from the USA to the UK as they follow different time zones. The UK is typically seven hours ahead of the United States depending on the specific regions or cities involved.
The USA uses six time zones, and the UK uses one, GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) during standard time and BST (British Standard Time) i.e. (GMT + 1) during daylight saving time (March – October).
Here is the list of time zones used in the USA compared with the UK:
- Hawaii-Aleutian Standard Time: It is 10 hours behind the GMT, which means 1 pm in the USA would be 11 pm in the UK.
- Alaska Time: It is 9 hours behind the GMT, which means 1 pm in the USA would be 10 pm in the UK.
- Pacific Time: It is 8 hours behind the GMT, which means 1 pm there in the US would be 7 pm in the UK.
- Mountain Standard Time: It is 7 hours behind the GMT, which means 1 pm there would be 8 pm in the UK.
- Central Standard Time: It is 6 hours behind the GMT, which means 1 pm in the USA would be 7 pm in the UK.
- Eastern Standard Time: It is 5 hours behind the GMT, which means 1 pm in the USA would be 6 pm in the UK.
Knowing these differences in time helps you to make calls during appropriate business hours, increasing the likelihood of reaching someone and having your call answered.
International Calling Rates
International calling rates may vary according to your phone carrier and network service provider for international phone calls. So, make sure to check for their specific international calling rates to the UK.
Not only the network providers but the calling rates may also depend on whether you’re calling a landline or calling UK mobile phones. Therefore, compare rates between different carriers and methods of calling to find the most affordable option.
How much does it cost to call the UK from the US?
Calling the UK from the USA is expensive and can cost a lot more than you have expected. The cost may vary depending on the provider and whether you’re calling landline or mobile phones.
The cost can go as less as $0.02 to high as $1.75 per minute. However, on average, the cost of calling the UK from the US is around $1.5 per minute.
Moreover, to get accurate information about the cost of making calls to the UK from the US, it’s best to check with your specific phone service provider. You can find this information on their website or by contacting their customer service.
How do you reduce the call cost to the UK?
With that expensive cost, this is the very question that most US business professionals rack their brains on. Honestly speaking, reducing the call cost for international calls, whether it be from the USA to the UK or any other country, can be done so effectively with only a few techniques and strategies.
The number one solution for that mighty problem is to use a VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) based phone system. VoIP phone systems use the internet to make calls, so they don’t require any international call charges.
To the icing on the cake, you can use a cloud-based VoIP phone system such as KrispCall. So that you don’t even have to invest your budget on the initial hardware setup. Additionally, Cloud-based telephony offers advanced features such as call routing, call forwarding, call analytics, integrations, and many more at a very affordable price.
Tips to save money while calling to the UK from the US
Have a look at some of the cost-effective option to reduce your call cost to the UK.
- Go for a cloud-based VoIP phone system.
- Use a UK virtual number with a flat-rate or bundled plan that includes unlimited or discounted calls.
- Opt for subscription-based plans as they are more cost-effective than paying per-minute charges
- Acknowledge the time-zone difference and schedule your calling sessions on off-peak hours, as call rates are often lower during these periods.
- If you are a business owner and make a large number of calls to the UK, Wholesale VoIP Minutes can be your cost-saving partner.
How to Make Business Calls to the UK from the US using KrispCall?
If you are a business owner making a business call to the UK, it might be pretty difficult for you to manage all those calls. To tackle that, you can profoundly choose KrispCall as your business phone system.
As a business owner, KrispCall makes your business call to the UK a cakewalk for you and your team members. With affordable pricing and an extensive amount of advanced features like call data analytics, CRM integrations, call monitoring, voice mail, and call forwarding to both phone and landline, KrispCall is the best suit for small and large enterprises.
Here’s how you can make business calls to the UK from the US using KrispCall.
Step 1: Sign up and create your account on KrispCall.
Step 2: Login using the created credentials.
Step 3: Purchase a UK virtual phone number.
Step 4: Enjoy dialing your clients.
To wrap this up, making calls to the United Kingdom from the US involves only a few steps. You can follow those steps along with this article, keeping in mind the essential things to consider, such as time zone difference, area code, calling rates, and the must, UK country code 44.
In addition to this, if you are worried about your international calling bills, don’t forget to check out KrispCall. It is one of the best cloud-based VoIP telephony on the market, with an affordable pricing range starting from only $15 per month.
Get in touch with your UK contacts effortlessly with KrispCall, and experience how convenient and valuable their services can be.
What country code is 44?
The country code 44 is for the United Kingdom. It is used to dial numbers in the UK from another country.
How to call London from the US?
To call a London mobile phone number from the United States, you would dial 011 (the exit code for the US) + 44 (the country code for the UK) + 7 ( the UK mobile code) + the London phone numbers.
Likewise, to call a London landline number, you have to dial 011 (the exit code for the US) + 44 (the country code for the UK) + 20 (the area code for London) + landline number.
Are there alternative methods for calling the UK from the US?
Yes, there are alternative methods for calling the UK from the US without using traditional methods of calling, such as landlines and mobile phones. Some of them are listed below.
- VoIP services: You can use VoIP services like WhatsApp, Skype, or Zoom to make calls from the US to the UK. These services allow you to make international calls over the Internet.
- Using Calling Card: The calling card can be purchased from various retailers or you can buy online also. You enter a free call or local access number, enter your PIN, and then dial an international number.
- Virtual numbers: Virtual numbers can be another alternative for dialing international calls at a very cheap cost. If you want to call the UK from the US, you can buy a virtual number from affordable providers like KrispCall and can make calls through it.
- Social Media: These days, various social media platforms like Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook offer international calling. You can also call the UK from the US using a social media app.