What is a Postpaid Phone Number & How to Get One?
- Last Updated: 03 Jan 24
- 13 min read
Are you tired of prepaid phone plans’ limitations and unpredictable expenses? Do you plan to switch from prepaid to postpaid phone numbers? 📞
Whether you’re a busy professional, a frequent traveler, or simply want a worry-free phone plan, a postpaid phone plan offers robust advantages that keep your communication uninterrupted without having to pay bills frequently.
Interested in learning more about postpaid phone numbers? Read the blog until the end to find out more. 💡
What is a Postpaid Phone Number?
A postpaid phone number is a type of phone number that is tied to a subscription plan where the user is billed for their usage after the services have been used. This type of service requires a credit history or a contractual commitment as well as a long-term contract. The user has to pay monthly bills for texts, data, and a set of minutes.
A Postpaid Phone Number Format: Country Code – Area Code – Subscriber Number
For example, in general, if you are in the United States, the format might look like this:
“+1 – Area Code – Subscriber Number”
How does a Postpaid Phone Number work?
A postpaid phone number is tied to a subscription plan. The user pays the bills for usage, typically for 12 or 24 months, with a mobile service provider, depending on the contract.
The monthly billing is calculated based on the usage of the service during the contract period. The user is billed for the usage of the previous month’s billing cycle and doesn’t have to worry about prepaid credits and balances.
What are the differences between Postpaid and Prepaid Phone Numbers?
The major difference between postpaid and prepaid phone numbers is how you pay your bills. Here are some differences between them based on the following aspects.
|Prepaid Phone Numbers
|Billed after using the service, typically on a monthly basis.
|Recharged upfront through a store visit, online billing, or automatic recharge
|Involved with a long-term contract with the service provider.
|No long-term contract with the service provider.
|Is likely to be more expensive, but often comes with discounts on new devices and other benefits.
|Tends to be cheaper, but usually comes with fewer perks and features.
|Requires a credit history or contractual commitment.
|No credit check is required.
|Service Activation Time
|Prior arrangements typically require a long-term (1–3 year) contract with a mobile network operator. Early termination fees would apply if the term was not completed.
|No specific service tenure requirement.
Who should use a Postpaid Phone Service?
There are several sectors that can benefit from postpaid phone service. Let’s have a brief overview of the benefits of postpaid service.
Businesses require their employees to have reliable phone service. Postpaid phone numbers offer different features, like expense tracking, multiple lines, and business-centric services.
They also offer unlimited talk, text, and data and benefits like music or video streaming without data charges, reward points, or a cheap international roaming plan that benefits businesses.
Heavy data users
A post-paid plan is cost-effective if you consistently use huge amounts of data for internet activities such as video, audio streaming, social media, and data-intensive applications. It offers unlimited data plans that save you much more money than prepaid service plans.
Postpaid phone plans offer low international roaming charges, which is suitable for users traveling frequently. It has better international calling options and consistent quality of service as it has partnerships with international carriers with better call quality.
Postpaid plans are suitable for families who wish to share a single bill for multiple phone lines. Multiple phones or SIM cards can be linked to a single account, making it suitable for families.
Using multiple lines with a postpaid plan, family members can enjoy features such as unlimited data, text and voice calls, reward points, and more. It is a cost-effective option, and family members can enjoy seamless connectivity.
What are the Benefits of Using Postpaid Phone Numbers?
Postpaid phone numbers offer several benefits for your communication. By understanding the following benefits, you can make a smart choice and enhance your mobile communication experience.
No Worries About Low Balance or Inability to Recharge
There is no need to worry that you might run out of balance when calling or using the service, as there are no restrictions. It will also address the issue of regular recharge, as payments are made on a monthly basis.
Postpaid phone numbers eliminate all recharging hassles and address all the communication requirements for a month. Your account remains active for the whole month without interruptions during this period.
Access to new handsets
Postpaid plans provide customers with a new handset along with the perks of their plan. It is a suitable option for customers looking for the latest model of their preferred mobile phones. With the features of their plan, this can be paid off each month in installments.
Network providers with large networks provide more steadiness and reliability for post-paid mobile services. In terms of network quality, coverage, and customer support, postpaid plans are much better than prepaid ones.
Perks and flexibility
Postpaid plans often include premium services, discounts on accessories, and special promotions. Some plans include additional features, such as free streaming subscriptions or enhanced customer support.
What are the Disadvantages of Postpaid Phone Numbers?
Although Postpaid phone numbers have several advantages, they also have some disadvantages. Some of them are:
Prepaid plans typically require users to commit for a certain period of time. Terminating a contract immediately is unavailable, and penalties may apply if the contract is terminated. It restricts the flexibility of users who want to change plans or carriers.
Credit Checks and Deposits
The service providers usually require a credit check before committing to a postpaid plan. Users with poor credit plans can face problems choosing their desired plans. Some providers may even require a security deposit for those with a less-than-ideal credit history.
Higher Monthly Costs
Due to additional perks and features, postpaid plans are higher than prepaid ones. Also, if the user does not fully use the subscription package, they will pay more money than the actual usage.
Users who exceed their monthly limits can be charged an overage charge if they pay more than their monthly fees. Therefore, users should monitor their usage to avoid unexpected charges.
How to get a Postpaid Phone Number online?
Postpaid phone numbers can usually be obtained through a mobile service provider’s website or application.
To get a postpaid phone number online follow the steps below:
- Choose a Cellular Service Provider: Research a provider offering postpaid plans that meet your needs. Many carriers and mobile service providers provide postpaid phone numbers.
- Visit the Provider’s Website or App: Go to the provider’s website or download a mobile application(if available)
- Select a Postpaid Plan: Select a postpaid plan that best suits your data, talk time, and other needs.
- Provide Personal Information: Fill the required forms with your personal information, including your name, address, and identification number.
- Undergo a Credit Check: It is mandatory for many postpaid providers to undergo a credit check. The provider will assess your creditworthiness to determine if you are eligible for a postpaid plan.
- Choose a Phone Number: After being approved for the credit check, choose a phone number from the available options.
- Complete the Process: Complete signup, set payment details, agree to the terms and conditions, and complete the process.
How to choose the Right Postpaid Plan?
When selecting a plan that suits your needs, it’s important to take into account the features that are most beneficial for your everyday life. Before making a decision, keep the following factors in mind;
- Service Quality: The quality of service should be your priority when choosing a plan. Opt for a plan that offers network coverage and faster data speeds.
- Family Plans: If you have family members or multiple lines to consider, it’s worth exploring family plans. These plans allow you to consolidate all the lines onto one bill and can help you save money in the process.
- Excellent customer service: Ensure the provider offers reliable customer support if you encounter problems or have questions.
- Credit Check and Contractual Agreements: Certain postpaid plans may require credit checks. Also, involves long-term contracts, which could be something to think about for users. It’s also an idea to see if there are any discounts, promotions, or extra perks.
- Availability of data rollover: Sometimes you use the internet all day, sometimes you don’t. During a month, it carries forward unutilized data and calls. With data rollover, you get all the internet service you paid for.
Top 5 Postpaid US Phone Number Service Providers in 2024
You can find different postpaid phone number providers on the web, as many of them claim to be the best. However, to make it easy for you, we have compiled the best 5 services with better networks and subscription plans.
1. Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless tops our list with its extensive coverage and reliable network. With 5G access, mobile hotspots, and international roaming, it is among the best postpaid phone number services.
You can consider Verizon Wireless for your postpaid plan, as it was ranked first among all the cellular providers. The RootMetrics network report ranked Verizon’s network first in all 6 categories: overall network performance, reliability, speed, data, call, and text.
- Unlimited Call, Text, and Data
- Device Financing
- 5G Coverage
- Hotspot and Tablet Plans
- Shared Plans
- Unlimited Ultimate: $75 per line ($6.95/line perk savings)
- Unlimited Plus: $75 per line($43.99/line perk savings)
- Unlimited Welcome: $50 per line($2.95/line perk savings)
T-Mobile is one of the top-notch service providers for postpaid mobile phone numbers that we have on our list. It is well known for its 5G network and attractive plans.
Most of their plans offer calling, texting, and data, along with additional benefits like Netflix subscriptions, international roaming privileges, and the convenience of using your phone while you’re traveling.
- Unlimited 5G and 4G LTE data
- Unlimited talk and text
- Nationwide 5G coverage
- Exclusive perks with T-Mobile Tuesdays
- Dedicated customer care
- Advanced scam-blocking protection
Essentials:$60 per line/month
Go5G Plus: $90per line/month
Go5G Next: $100 per line/month
AT&T stands as one of the providers of phone plans in the United States. They offer a variety of plans tailored to fit budgets and needs without locking customers into long-term contracts.
AT&T’s network is known for its reliability and speed, making it ideal for streaming music and videos, engaging in activities, and using social media apps like Facebook or Twitter. If you’re contemplating getting a number, AT&T presents itself as a choice.
- Unlimited talk, text, and data in and between the U.S., Canada, and Mexico
- Fast, Reliable, Secure AT&T 5G.
- AT&T ActiveArmor mobile security
- Unlimited texting from the U.S. to 200+ countries
AT&T Unlimited Starter plan: $65.00/month per line
AT&T Unlimited Extra plan: $75.00/month per line
AT&T Unlimited Premium plan: $85.00/month per line
4. Ting Mobile
Ting mobile provides affordable, prepaid, and postpaid numbers that come with smart and flexible customizable plans created to match client’s demands. Using Ting, users are able to choose between a blend of talk, text, and data packages that they require.
You may also purchase a telephone from a ting or utilize your own gadget to do so. This is a sound deal for those looking to keep their expenses down while at the same time enjoying an array of excellent features.
- Unlimited talk + text
- LTE / 5G fast data allotment
- Mobile hotspot
- No data overage charges
Set 5: $25/month
Set 12: $35/month
5. US Cellular
Last but not least, we have US Cellular. It is also one of the best postpaid phone number providers in the US.
US Cellular offers various features to choose including unlimited plans, prepaid plans, and family plans. You can go for US Cellular for reliable and seamless communication at a considerable price.
- Unlimited Talk, Text & Data
- Unlimited Mexico & Canada LTE Data
- Ultra-High Definition (UHD) Streaming (4K)
- Premium Robocall Solution
- Certain Monthly Fees Waived
Basic: $29.99/line per month
Everyday: $39.99/line per month
Even Better: $49.99/line per month
We hope this article has helped you gain knowledge about postpaid phone numbers as a reliable and cost-effective mobile communication solution. With features such as unlimited talk and text, generous data allowances, and additional perks, postpaid phone numbers ensure convenience and peace of mind.
After pointing out the major benefits and their uses, you can confidently choose a plan that aligns with your communication needs and budget. Take advantage of the benefits of postpaid numbers – control your mobile communication today, and enjoy a hassle-free experience.
How do I check if my number is postpaid or prepaid?
To know if your phone number is postpaid or prepaid, follow the given steps:
- Ask your network operator to check your number in their database
- Check your billing statements; if you have a detailed bill, then your number is postpaid; otherwise, it’s prepaid.
- You can access account information from your phone by dialing USSD codes. Use *#100# or *#123# and press the call button. Find out your account type by calling your carrier’s USSD code.
Can I transfer my postpaid number to prepaid?
Yes, you can transfer your postpaid number to prepaid. However, it depends on your mobile service provider. Here are some general ideas for transferring postpaid to a prepaid number:
- Ask your current provider to port your number to their prepaid service and follow the procedures.
- Choose your desired prepaid plan and complete the porting process
- Activate your new prepaid plan
Can I get free postpaid phone numbers?
No, you cannot get free postpaid phone numbers; although you can get free phone numbers during promotional events and offers, you have to pay bills after completing the usage cycle.
What is a fake postpaid phone number? Should I use it?
Fake postpaid phone numbers are numbers that are not tied to a legitimate network carrier. No, you should not use fake postpaid phone numbers, as they are associated with unethical or illegal activities.
Which is the best network for postpaid phone numbers?
There are different postpaid phone number providers who claim to have the best network services. However, according to our research, some of the best networks for postpaid phone numbers are Verizon Wireless, T-Mobile, AT&T, Ting Mobile, and US Cellular.