Business Texting Etiquette: A Comprehensive Guide
- Last Updated: 03 Jan 24
- 12 min read
Finger hovering over “Send”? Hold right there. Don’t let typos torpedo your business professionalism!
One bad text and minor mistakes can break your relationship with important clients.
In this guide, you’ll learn everything about business texting etiquette including, benefits, best practices, and must-have elements to include, and packed with tips to turn texts into communication ninja stars ⭐
Ready to master the art of business texting ✍?
Scroll down 👇 and unleash your inner wordsmith!
What is Business Texting Etiquette?
Business Texting Etiquette is a standard procedure for sending professional text messages to contacts or customers. It includes elements such as language, tone context, when to use, and how to address.
Improving your communication in this manner helps to enhance your professional manners and respectful interactions and contributes to building stronger and more positive relationships with others.
✅ Example of Good Texting Etiquette: Thank You, Hello [Name] this is [Your name], Thank You for your help, I am sorry for the confusion, Thank You for your time, Have a good day.
❎ Example of Bad Texting Etiquette: Hey it’s me, Thx, Call now, are you busy, the meeting is fixed.
The benefits of having proper business etiquette are:
- Improves communication: Business texting etiquette ensures professional, clear, and concise messages, elevating communication standards. This practice promotes fruitful and productive information sharing in the workplace.
- Facilitate teamwork and collaboration: By guaranteeing courteous and transparent communication, using appropriate business texting etiquette improves teamwork and creates a more positive work atmosphere.
- Improved Customer Service: Likewise, it ensures timely and efficient communication, which improves customer service. Through courteous and professional interactions, this practice uplifts customer satisfaction and loyalty which contributes to positive customer experiences.
- Upholds ethical standards: Following appropriate etiquette assures that messages are communicated truthfully and by moral standards. This procedure promotes trust among stakeholders, clients, and coworkers by upholding integrity in business dealings.
18 Best Practices to Create a Professional Business Texting Etiquette in 2024
By practising Professional Business Texting Etiquette you are not only leaving a text message also you are leaving a positive and professional impression 😊 with those you interact with.
Here are the top 18 tips that help you to create Professional Texting Etiquette for your organization.
1. Use formal Greetings
In the business and professional sphere, formal greetings are a way of saying Hi and Hello to someone.
A polite greeting sets the tone for a professional interaction, whether you are interacting with clients, coworkers, or people in positions of authority. Furthermore, this practice helps create a pleasant and productive communication environment within the business context while maintaining a sense of professionalism.
✅ Do’s: Begin with a warm greeting, mention your identification, and purpose of texting, and maintain your politeness and positive tone
❎ Don’ts: Don’t be rude, don’t mention unnecessary information, don’t use improper greetings
2. Use proper grammar
Anyone with frequent mistakes and errors does not come across as professional. It can result in degrading your reputation. Messaging in appropriate English is important When you send documents, results, and data.
Incorrect grammar and punctuation can occasionally be misleading and create confusion. You should be conscious of using proper spelling and messages while texting your customers.
3. Be polite and decent in your tone
Considering the impact of words, adopting a polite and decent tone is imperative. It shapes perception, fosters favorable interactions, and contributes to a professional and harmonious communication environment. Please, Thank You, excuse me, can add politeness and softness in the tone.
4. Make the text short and to the point
Short and to-the-point texts are clear, time-efficient, and memorable. In the era of mobile mobile devices, it’s crucial to make the information and messages appear to be mobile-friendly.
Furthermore, Texts can be effective when ensuring they are well-structured and informative.
People are less likely to read long messages as sometimes it appears to be time-consuming and boring.
✅ Do’s: Use short text, separate with paragraphs, maintain headings and subheadings, use bullet points
❎ Don’ts: Don’t extend your text more than required, don’t use difficult words, and do not repeat the words frequently that can annoy the reader.
5. Make sure to use appropriate language
Whenever you are business messaging you should always prioritise using proper language and sentences.
Using multiple languages sometimes may require translators for broader distribution.
It’s essential to adhere to a common language so that your message is clear and comprehensible by the intended recipient. Avoid using inappropriate and offensive words.
✅Do’s: Make sure to use appropriate language, Know the familiar language of your contact, and communicate using appropriate and correct language
❎Don’ts: Do Not mix up the languages, consider words while using, and consider cultural sensitivity.
6. Timing and context
No one reads messages during sleeping hours. Also, time plays a vital role in influencing how your message is received. When deciding when to communicate, take the recipient’s schedule and the urgency of the information into account.
When collaborating with remote or international teams, keep in mind time zones for efficient coordination. Using business hours, avoiding peak busy times, and considering time zones are important.
✅ Do’s: Use official time, Respect others’ schedules, and be aware of other’s availability
❎Don’ts: Don’t message during sleep time, on off days, and when someone is on vacation
7. Be respectful
When you treat people with respect in your text messages, you can create a calm and professional work environment. It’s crucial to keep in mind the recipient’s sentiments and avoid discussing delicate or private subjects. Verify your messages again before sending them to make sure they follow politeness guidelines and reflect the intended tone.
8. Insert emojis in appropriate points
When used thoughtfully, emojis can convey emotion and add a friendly touch. For example adding a 🎉 emoji to congratulation and celebration, using 👏 emoji can convey appreciation or recognition.
Finding the ideal balance guarantees that the use of emojis enhances communication while preserving the message’s overall professionalism.
✅ Do’s: Formal Emojis that suit your text such as 📅 for meeting schedule, 👏for celebration, and 🎉for congratulations
❎ Don’ts: Multiple emojis at once 🤝🤝🤝improper emojis “🎉 for meeting schedule
9. Use Safe Compliments at Work
Always be kind and polite with your co-workers and your team. Being thankful when someone helps you. And is appropriate to politely and supportively acknowledge and compliment coworkers all the time.
Encouraging a positive work environment can be achieved, for example, by thanking someone for their exceptional work on a recent project and expressing appreciation for their attention to detail and dedication.
Sincere appreciation for someone’s contributions is shown when one thanks them for their support in trying times or recognizes their leadership abilities on a particular project.
✅ Do’s: Don’t forget to mention Thank You when someone helps you, also you can appreciate someone depending upon the message context such that you can write: I enjoy working with you, I appreciate your trust, thank you for your guidance
❎ Don’ts: avoid complimenting on someone’s personal relationships, bodily appearance, and writing romantic messages..
10. Regularly Update Communication Apps
Keeping your communication app up to date helps create a modern and efficient work environment. Also updating apps ensures that you have the latest features and security measures.
Being updated with the app features helps for accessibility to the newest innovations in technology, promoting smooth communication and teamwork. Moreover, it can assist you in communicating with your customers more efficiently and interactively.
11. Monitor and Manage Notification Settings
Customers interact more when they receive quick responses. To avoid information overload and minimize interruptions, it’s also essential to monitor and manage notification settings.
You can prioritize and filter messages by personalizing your notification preferences, which promotes a focused work environment. This not only increases output but also shows that you are communicating with consideration.
12. Use proper Abbreviations
Text acronyms and abbreviations are shortened forms of words or phrases that are used to save time. Employing widely recognized acronyms can improve productivity while preventing misinterpretations.
Useful acronyms that don’t compromise on professionalism include: ASAP (As Soon as Possible), FYI (For Your Information), EOD (end of the day), and PFA (please Find The Attached File).
13. Minimise Repetition for Clarity
Clear messages create strong relations in business. Writing sufficient text messages is essential for conveying information. Repeating the same sentences again and again creates irritation and displeasure to the recipient.
14. Avoid Pressuring Others from Timely Response
You should be concerned about others’ busy schedules as people have diverse personal and professional routines. Imposing undue pressure on people to respond right away can lead to unnecessary stress and impede productive teamwork. Rather than, be patient and wait for their response
✅ Do’s: Could you please give me the feedback? Could you please spare a few minutes of your available time, Looking forward to hearing from you soon.
❎ Don’ts: When are you free? give me a reply, why are you so busy or not replying to me?
15. Use professional Sign – offs
Using professional Sign-offs concludes the message with a polite ending that enhances the overall professionalism and cultural sensitivity. Ending your texts with a formal closing like Sincerely, Best regards, Warm Regards, With Gratitude, Respectfully, or something similar. It enhances the professional tone and cultural sensitivity.
16. Consider Your Audience
Whether readers or listeners, finding your right audience can help you to better reach your messages. Every message and information has particular groups or individuals. Hence knowing your audience can help you to create the right tone, language, and level of detail in your message.
17. Recognize the Boundaries of Informality
While business texts permit a more casual tone than formal emails, it’s crucial to understand the bounds of informality. Strike a balance between your professionalism and friendliness.
18. Proofreading before sending
Have you ever felt ashamed of sending the wrong message? To avoid misunderstanding and to interpret the correct spelled words you should always read your message before you send it.
Sending a message to another recipient may lead to a leak of private information. Additionally to ensure trust and security proofreading is important.
What should a professional business texting include?
Professional business texting includes several key elements to ensure effective business communication and leave a positive impression. Here are the essential components:
- Greetings: Start your message with a warm greeting that is suitable according to the recipient.
- Identification: Clearly state your name and, if relevant, your position within the company to establish a personal connection and enhance transparency.
- Company Detail: Introduce your professional connection by including your company’s name, and providing context and credibility to your message.
- Purpose of the Text: Concisely outline the reason for your text, ensuring the reader understands the purpose and urgency, and setting clear expectations.
- Contact Information: Include your contact details, such as phone number or email, to provide readers with a convenient means of reaching you for further discussion or clarification.
- Polite Closure: End the text message with a courteous closure, expressing appreciation for the reader’s time and maintaining a positive tone for a lasting impression.
Send Professional Business Texting With KrispCall & Never Miss a Conversation
Maintaining proper business texting etiquette is beneficial for your business to grow. You can use KrispCall for your daily conversation with your customers. Using KrispCall you can make your text better with benefits like message scheduling, spelling checks before sending messages, and deleting messages.
- Autocomplete and spell check: Sometimes we cannot identify the mistakes in our text messages. In that case, spell check and autocomplete features from KrispCall can help you catch typos and grammar mistakes before they’re sent. This lowers the possibility of misunderstandings brought on by imprecise or ambiguous language.
- Scheduled messages: If you like to avoid accidentally sending something at the wrong time, you can schedule messages to be sent at a later time. When sending a birthday greeting or business reminder, for example, you may want to make sure the recipient receives the message at a certain time. In those cases, this can be helpful.
- Confirmation prompts: KrispCall provides a pop-up confirmation window before message dispatch. It ensures accuracy by helping you verify recipients and content twice, especially when working quickly or under time constraints.
- Integrations: KrispCall streamlines message management with a single interface by syncing with communication and CRM platforms. This lowers the possibility of messaging the incorrect person on several different platforms.
- Cancel accidental sends: Have you ever hit the send button for an incomplete message? You don’t have to face this moment anymore as KrispCall allows you to cancel the sent message. This protects you from miscommunication.
Business Texting Etiquette emphasizes the impact on professional relationships and organizational image. If you follow the above-mentioned business texting rules and etiquette it helps you to improve your professional image, and build strong relationships with a positive work environment.
By identifying and fixing typos and grammatical errors in your text messages, a messaging tool KrispCall lowers the possibility of misinterpretation. Moreover, you can handle messages across platforms with ease, schedule messages for later, and use pop-up prompts to double-check accuracy. Furthermore, the ability to retract messages sent helps to avoid misunderstandings.
What are some business etiquette that everyone should follow?
Using proper greetings, and respectful and polite tones help you to create a good impression. Be aware of the recipient’s contact details and the message to be sent.
What are some best ways of texting customers?
Do not only focus on sales and promotion but also prioritize the valuable offers. Think about how you sound, and write the texts accordingly. Be sure to proofread before sending the message.